I’m not gonna lie, I’m not sorry to see 2012 go. It was not a banner year for me for a multitude of reasons…and of course, I’m going to make a list because that is one of my most favorite things to do! Let’s start at the beginning:
I broke up with up with my boyfriend of almost 5 years. It happened in January but I didn’t post about it until August. It was too painful. I thought he was ‘The One’. We were gonna last forever. We planned on retiring in France some day and even though we were polar opposites, we seemed to mesh very well. We traveled everywhere together and we were always doing fun and weird activities. I can’t remember having this much fun with anyone else. I think about him a lot still and hope he’s doing well. It still hurts…moving on…
- I battled depression. Only those closest to me know this so I’m just talking about it now. I’m very private about my personal life and I couldn’t open up about things the way I used to. I come from a large family and have always had big circles of friends. I didn’t have that in Portland. I felt very much alone and it took its toll on me. Depression sucks.
- I lost a best friend. I had one bestie in Portland and now that I look back I believe our fallout was caused mostly by a 3rd party and a whole bunch of miscommunication. It still makes me very sad.
- I started dating what I thought was a really great guy for several months….and then it turns out, he wasn’t so great. That one stung….a lot. He even met my family. My college friends and I used to tease our friend, Robyn that she had a bad ‘picker’. She never could pick out a decent guy until she met her current fiancée. Crap. Do I have a bad ‘picker’? This guy had me fooled, I was totally starting to fall for him. *sigh*
- And…I’ve gained 20 pounds. Yep, I stopped working out and started loving on the food! The good thing is that most people can’t tell, but I can tell and my clothes can tell. The buttons on some of my pants are screaming for help! I’ve got some really pretty clothes that I can’t exactly fit into right now because they simply don’t fit. I’m not too keen to be looking like a mushroom cap or muffin top or whatever you want to call it. Not cool.
Now, towards the latter part of the year I finally realized that I had to make some changes in my life or I was going to become someone who I truly disliked. I couldn’t just sit there and be apathetic. My Grandma Iva would be so mad at the way I was acting if she were here so I had to figure out how to better my situation. And there were a couple of good things that happened in 2012:
I visited my girlfriends in CO. I’ve known these girls since college and although we may not see each other but once or twice a year, these girls ‘get me’. We started out as friends back in Cedar Falls, Iowa and have remained friends ever since. Thank God I have them in my life!
- I adopted a 4th cat. Okay, so some of you may not see this as ‘good’ but I love this little guy with all of my being. He makes me laugh and he’s so adorable I don’t know how anyone could not love him. And he makes my little family complete.
- I got a new job! I love it!!!!! I work for an amazing company, we believe in our employees, we provide them the right tools to empower them to offer excellent customer service, we give back to the community, we believe in training and education and attending conferences for learning and networking opportunities. It’s a lot of work and a lot more responsibility but I LOVE IT!
- I moved across the country. Well, sort of. My pursuit of a new job took me across the country back to the Midwest. I planned it that way. The plan was to be within driving distance of my family and I accomplished that! I’m within 4 1/2 hours of my parents and 5-6 hours of my sisters. Before it took me a full day of flying and usually 2 flights to get home but now I can hop in the car. Bliss!
So what’s 2013 going to bring me? Actually, let me re-phrase that. What am I going to bring to 2013? I’ve got some pretty good ideas but I don’t want to share just yet. No, I haven’t met anyone (Match.com still sucks) but I’ve been working on some goals for the year and maybe I’ll be willing to share them. I think I’ll save that for the next blog. I’ve been waiting a little too long between blogs so maybe that should be my first goal….blog more.